- Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana (PMGPY) is a new scheme to be launched soon by the central government. Under the PMGPY scheme, the government would provide interest-free loans to women’s self-help group to buy commercial passenger vehicles. The scheme would be launched on the lines of the ongoing rural scheme “Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana”.
- The scheme would be launched soon to provide interest-free loans on a commercial vehicles in the areas where the roads have already been constructed under the PM Gram Sadak Yojana
The objective of Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana (PMGPY)
- The main objective of PM Gram Parivahan Yojana is to improve the public transport facility and generate employment options in rural areas. Through the scheme, government wants to bridge the gap between villages and cities where the roads have been constructed but there is no or very less public transport.
- Initially, under the scheme, the government would provide interest-free loans for at least 1,500 commercial vehicles in 250 blocks across the country. The maximum seating capacity of the commercial vehicle would be 10 people. The scheme may be later expanded to provide loans for 80000 commercial passenger vehicles across the country.
- A loan of a maximum of Rs. 6 lakh would be provided under the PMGPY scheme and the loan tenure would be about 6 months. The government has already conducted a survey in rural areas of Bilaspur in Chhattisgarh to check the feasibility of the scheme.
- According to a survey study, the best option would be to provide a loan at an interest subsidized interest rate for a 10-12 seater commercial passenger vehicle to run on a stretch of 20-22 kilometers which connects at least 10-14 small villages.
- The scheme is expected to boost public transport facilities in rural areas and generate employment options, especially among women.